Friday, January 7, 2011

Sweet Home...

The short answer is I was born here.

The long answer is I was born here, but I chose to stay. For now. I mean, how many people have the privilege to live a mere 45 minutes away from not only a major U.S. city, but an international hub of activity? That's just about as good as living in the very center of it, and I'm not about snub my nose at that kind of gift.

I live on the south side of this wonderful, windy city, but I'd be lying if I said I'd never thought about living somewhere else. I've even woken up from nightmares about being stuck in the middle. It makes me want to just pick a coast and go. Boston. Portland. Providence. San Francisco. Even London. So many places to choose from.

But then I wonder if I ever really could go. Could I leave that skyline, only seeing it on the occasional trip home? Could I leave my family, my friends, my hockey team? Could I leave the museums, the theaters, the music, the summers, the ballparks, my own little local discoveries? Could I really and honestly in good conscience leave the pizza?

Maybe. For a little while. Or maybe for a long while if it felt right. But I think that I'd always, always come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment