Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Make No Little Plans Or Should I?

This is what has been missing in my life for the past few months.

I finished student teaching about a week and a half ago, and am only now coming back to life after a nasty post-semester illness. It's pretty typical, as I've always tended to get sick just after finishing a major undertaking. My body just says "Ok, I'm done!" for a few days, and then I'm left to get back on my feet.

Anyway, what matters is that I am here, and I intend to use this space for jump starting my writing. Here is my main problem with this. I have little to no discipline in this area. I want to write ALL the time, but often there are other things that take precedence over it. School, work, and all the other things that insist on my time. Some of these are good like spending time with the husband, family and friends. Others are ugly and adult-shaped.

And, I miss feeling that have something in my brain worth saying. I fill my mind with all of these fantastic ideas and literature daily, but I can't seem to come up with anything original myself. Maybe the problem is that I'm thinking too big, too broad. Maybe I should start small. One foot in front of the other, as they say.

I have to admit I'm a little ashamed of myself for letting writing go so far to the wayside during the pursuit of my teaching degree. Well, it is a lesson learned that I have to continue it no matter how busy life gets.

I have to be dedicated to this creative part of myself or I might lose it completely in the fray. This time, luckily, I've just misplaced it for a bit, and I think I have a pretty good chance of coming back to life. Not to mention, I look forward to bringing this part of myself into the classroom with me when I do have the opportunity to teach my own students.

I have to hold onto this part of myself, because no one is going to do it for me. I have to hold on to it, and make little plans for it, so I can learn who I am here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment