Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Reminder of Why I Don't Read Amateur Reviews

These are a few Shelfari reviews I read for 'The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate,' a book I just finished last week and happen to quite like. It's not the 'bad' reviews that bother me. It's things like this:

"This is a YA novel, but it's a delightful read! It really shows life at the turn of the last century."

"This is young adult fiction, but a really nice story."

I take issue with the 'but' in each of these. Why should it matter if it's YA or not? Is it surprising that a novel for children or teens could be engaging and well-written? I don't think so. And though, I don't think these reviewers meant any harm, I do think it sends the wrong message.YA novels can have just as much power and meaning as those written for adults. Sometimes, I even think that YA succeeds more often in the character development department. That's probably why I find myself drawn to YA literature more often than not.

As a children's librarian though, I am a little biased. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment